19 December 2008

Thing 16 - Student 2.0 Tools

The University of Minnesota Assignment Calculator struck me as a very helpful tool for students. Not only does it lay out a schedule for the various steps in writing a paper, but provides really useful links to explain each step or offer suggestions on research sources and strategies. Nice tool. I can see this as a useful link to put on a public library website for students.

The Research Project Calculator was somewhat less impressive, it seemed very wordy and there were a lot of bullet points crammed into the 5 steps. Still, it offers helpful structure and suggestions to high school students working on research projects. I really liked that the final step was evaluating how you had done on your project and making it a learning opportunity for how to improve your next project. Including information about how to create a slide presentation or video to communicate the research results is a nice feature of this tool.

These tools serve their specific education purpose well, but I can’t see them working to help manage a library project, for example. On the other hand, I’d love to find a similar tool that was more suited to the library world.

No comments: